× Copyright Disclaimer Privacy Policy Author Guidelines Current Issue Archive Publishing Ethics Join As Reviewer Advertise Submit Article Abstracting And Indexing Editorial Board Contact Editor-in-Chief Scope of the Journal About the Journal


JAPER is indexed in SCOPUS

Views: 308 Downloads: 129

Importance of healthcare professional training on medication safety, medication error prevention, and reporting


, ,

Abstract

This study aims to explore healthcare professional (HCP) training on medication safety, medication error prevention, and reporting. A presentation was developed on the topic including medication use and management (MU&M) best practices and case studies. A joint HCP training session was held in the Kuwaiti MoH to deliver the training to the HCPs from all the hospitals. A SurveyMonkey™ link was then shared with the participants to collect training evaluation data for analyses that would target required improvements in training. In Cohort 1, the first training included 450 attendees, 44% males (n=200) and 56% (n=250) females. There were 22% (n=100) contracted overseas HCPs and the remainder (78%, n=350) were Kuwaiti nationals. While in Cohort 2, the second training also included 450 attendees, 54% males (n=247) and 46% (n=203) females. There were 25% (n=114) contracted overseas HCPs and the remainder (75%, n=336) were Kuwaiti nationals. The largest participants cohort was from Al Sabah Hospital (20%, n=90) in Cohort 1 and was from Al Sabah Hospital (24%, n=110) in Cohort 2. Most HCPs agreed on the importance of the training learning outcomes with an average of 71% agreeing in Cohort 1, whereas 37% agreed in Cohort 2. Overall, most HCPs agreed interactive sessions are more desirable. The most used words were prevention of medication errors through medication management, and case studies as the preferred learning medium. The researcher was able to assess their training delivery methods and enhance the content by using the training program and the feedback from the HCPs.


How to cite this article:
Vancouver
Saada M, Morrissey H, Ball P. Importance of healthcare professional training on medication safety, medication error prevention, and reporting. J Adv Pharm Educ Res. 2023;13(3):1-7. https://doi.org/10.51847/nsvLedyP4z
APA
Saada, M., Morrissey, H., & Ball, P. (2023). Importance of healthcare professional training on medication safety, medication error prevention, and reporting. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education and Research, 13(3), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.51847/nsvLedyP4z
Citation Formats:


Contact SPER Publications


SPER Publications and Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

HD - 236,
Near The Shri Ram Millenium School,
Sector 135,
Noida-Greater Noida Expressway,
Noida-201301 [Delhi-NCR] India